Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Young entrepreneur gets boost with 1MCA scheme

GEORGE TOWN: Entrepreneur Ong Hooi Siang wants to expand his business selling intelligent LED electronic circuit system here. However, the 24-year-old doesn’t have a shop to market his wares.

Source from (Berita Harian): http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/1/2/nation/12525517&sec=nation
Published: January 02, 2013

Timely fund: Ong showing the cheque he received from the 1MCA micro-credit scheme for youths.
Timely fund: Ong showing the cheque he received 
from the 1MCA micro-credit scheme for youths.

His problem came to the attention of the MCA, who offered him a loan of RM15,000 from the 1MCA micro-credit scheme for youths.

Ong, who is an electronics engineering graduate, said when he started his business in June last year, he could not record his sales for a few months because he did not have a place to display his products.

“I had to go out marketing my products from house to house or promote them online or during trade shows. I’m now storing my products in an office which I share with other traders,” he said yesterday.

With the injection of micro-credit capital, Ong wants to lease and refurbish an outlet, which he hopes to open for business by March.

“I was surprised that I was chosen to receive the fund. I thought that I might not get it as I’m young and have no experience.

“I believe that this scheme can help young people like me to get into business,” he said after recei­ving his cheque from state MCA deputy chairman Datuk Dr Loh Hock Hun at the Penang MCA headquarters on Monday.

Five others received funds totalling RM80,000 from Dr Loh.

He said the loans, ranging from RM5,000 to RM20,000 each, were created to help those aged 45 years and below to start or expand their business

No comments:

Post a Comment